Sunday 23 June 2013

K.I.S.S


Doing a marathon in under 4 hours for me was not what I originally planned to do when I signed up for the Marathon Training Program.  Never doing a marathon before I decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted to qualify for the 2010 Boston Marathon (that was my goal before I even discovered what time I would need to hit even to qualify)... maybe not doing it in San Diego but using this first race to track my progress and get a feel for the longer distance of a marathon distance race.  At my advanced age I would need to break a 3:30:00 time sometime this year so that I would qualify to run the next Patriots Day in 2010... How would I achieve this goal?
I loved the K.I.S.S. principle of the program, the friendship of the other runners and coaches and the blue print on how we, as a group, were going to make it to our goal at the end of May...  I dove right in!  Looking forward to my daily run and getting up early each Saturday so not to be late for our weekly group runs.  I was changing... I was living... I was walking taller, I was easier to work with, to live with... I liked the new "me"!
Week 5 there is a super fun "Super Run 10k"... And the next day I went out and raced another race, a 15k at Mission Gorge and its "1000 steps" Xterra Series trail run... I could not get enough of this sport.
Valentines Day I was met with a cute little card from Nikee and the most thoughful gift I have ever received.... an entry into the 2009 Chicago Marathon!!! Just what I've always wanted... a nice flat course that everyone says is a "great Boston Qualifier..."  and first class airline tickets for the uncomfortable ride back home to San Diego when I was done.  Wow, so supportive of my dream, so wonderful a girlfriend!  My life was falling into place... what else could a guy ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment