Wednesday 29 May 2013

2008-2009


Funny, after you do something enough it becomes easy... and maybe a little boring.  I am the type that always needs a new challenge.  That's how I discovered Triathlon.  I loved to swim but never did it in a lane or in a race... and a proper bike was foreign to me (big pizza/little pizza???) but it seemed like the natural progression of the strides (ha) I had been making on the road in my running races. 
I started with the sprint triathlons and if I did not come in the bottom 1/3 of my age group I would be shocked... but I found my new challenge.  I joined the local Triathlon Club (Tri Club San Diego) and dove right in (ha) to anything and everything Tri related.  Club Races, workouts, social events... anything and everything... good times!  My races increased in distance as my endurance and confidence was built. 

My times were still below average... that might not be true but I was never on the podium and I would look for ways to improve.  I would sit in my office the monday after a race and dissect my age group, my splits, my weaknesses. 

If you hate getting old... start racing triathlons or running races.  Nothing feels better than your "Aging Up" birthday party.  You are now the youngin' racing against father time and your elder peers.  Like a jockey getting to race with all other horses in the starting gate carrying that extra weight.
I noticed the longer the races, the better I did vs others.  Could be all the training I was doing, or the "mental toughness" I would like to think I had... It could be the longer the race the more important the run becomes.  I was starting to really enjoy running, I bet it was the later. 

I joked that my swim and bike was so shit that I gave everyone their needed head start once we started the run.  What I think it really was is the ability to set a task and get it done.  I would see the age of a competitor on his calf during the run and I would set my mind to picking him off (or any woman in the field that was ahead of me... something about "getting chicked").  One at a time.  This is the point of this post.  Set your mind to something and do it.  Running up hill is sometimes very difficult on your body... you will see people walking around you... but if you set your goals very short term you can mentally get it done.  "Just one foot in front of the other"  "Just get to that tree and then you can slow your pace"  "Do not let that 12 year old kid beat you to the top"... whatever works for you.
I got to the point of racing Half Ironmans which in the middle of a race it hit me... I am running a half marathon after all of that pain fest of a swim and long ass bike race... I bet I can do a marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment